Friday, July 3, 2020

Goodbye to Hill

After five years of being a teacher at Robert T. Hill Middle School, I am moving on to a new school (more info to come). It has been a crazy ride at Hill! This is the school where Mrs. Ruiz gave me a chance to be a teacher. I walked into this school as a TV reporter for NBC 5 and walked out a teacher with a lot of experience. I almost gave up my first two years (teaching is tough), but really fell in love with teaching Texas History and Journalism. I was able to get three yearbook published and numerous school newspapers. We had an awesome News Club all five years. You can check out my students work at www.hilljournalism.weebly.com. I am proud to have sponsored the Youth Against Drug Abuse (YADA) Club. I started it after a student overdosed in my class my second year. I know it helped a little in educating the students about the dangers of drug abuse. I have learned so much about Texas! I love teaching the students about Quanah Parker and the Buffalo Soldiers. During my time at Hill, I climbed Guadalupe Peak (the tallest point in Texas) twice. I was able to have the great grandson of Quanah Parker come and speak to the students. I even got the students to write President Trump and get a letter back from him! I am excited about my new journey and will never forget my time at Hill. I am glad we got to end my last year with Project Envision. This projects goal was to end racial inequality. Check out my students work at www.hillprojectenvision.weebly.com. Goodbye Hill!

No comments: